Dungeon Painter Questions

Free powerful encounter map design tool.
pyro
Site Admin

Re: Dungeon Painter Questions

Postby pyro » 25 Sep 2016, 20:05

Not yet

SneakBug8

Postby SneakBug8 » 27 Sep 2016, 15:36

Pyro, could you publish default tilesets? (I want to edit some things in them)
RUS:
Не могли бы вы опубликовать стандартные тайлсеты? (Я хочу изменить некоторые моменты в них)

pyro
Site Admin

Postby pyro » 28 Sep 2016, 23:25

Yawgmoth wrote:a way to change the size of objects and the color of floors/terrain?

In new app, there is a scale and tint effect, you can see at this screen shot.
Please wait a little more, it will be available soon.

IronBob

Postby IronBob » 29 Sep 2016, 03:57

Wow, that screen shot looks awesome Pyro. I like the dark theme change and it looks like your adding a lot of options to it. Need a beta tester? (IronBob waves hand frantically in the air,lol)

pyro
Site Admin

Postby pyro » 29 Sep 2016, 06:15

IronBob wrote:Wow, that screen shot looks awesome Pyro. I like the dark theme change and it looks like your adding a lot of options to it. Need a beta tester? (IronBob waves hand frantically in the air,lol)

I left a couple of small shortcomings to fix them,
and I will send out beta of the most active participants of the forum.

SamuraiJack

Postby SamuraiJack » 01 Oct 2016, 17:35

pyro wrote:
SamuraiJack wrote:Is there a way to send it to a pdf as one large file. I have access to a Plotter and I would like to be able to print the thing as one page
Thanks

In the new app, I'll try to add option to export pdfs without slicing the pages.

You may export it to png, using cell size abut 100 pixels,
it should provide an acceptable quality.
Then open it in graphic editor and select
print resolution equal to the export option (100), before printing.

Thank you for your help!
Is there somewhere to leave feedback, or is in post is fine.

I have taken some time and have loved the features so far and I have built a couple of maps with the online tool. I am excited to see you add a scaling tool.

A few things I am looking for/ideas to look at,
    A way to change the center point or copy point of an item
    (I was having a hard time moving an item between the grid and a hard time moving groups because it would select way outside the item or group)

can you add a tool/toggle that snaps to mid points on a grid?

A way to select multiple times and group them together instead of having to drag them one by one to group

A selection tool for items. What do I mean by this, if you have used auto cad then its the tool to select multiple items. clicking and draging to the left requries you to encompass with the box to select the item and dragging to the right selects and item if any part is caught by the box.

a way to hide layers so i can work on a few items above the layer without interacting with the layer below it.

a rotation option to place something down and then move the mouse around to select the angle

is there a way to copy them and organize them and re upload them can be a bit confusing were some items are or a favorites button (like a star) so you tag them as you look through and that goes to favorites tab

Some stuff I really enjoyed

the ability to toggle on and off the "paint" function (where you can brush with trees or go one by one) that was amazing

the wonderful amount of layers you had available

the quick printing and saving of the files

having it automatically set up pages to print them out as PDF's

Last I just want to thank you for your time on this project.

SneakBug8

Postby SneakBug8 » 02 Oct 2016, 11:41

I found a bug:
Nonvisible tiles on map, visible when exported:
Normal map
On export

My map file

pyro
Site Admin

Postby pyro » 05 Oct 2016, 06:16

SneakBug8 wrote:I found a bug:

Hi, thank you, I see the problem, but I'm not sure it will be fixed soon (it's not trivial to find bounds for obstacles, so trees return wrong points). You may crop your map in export win, there are green corners at top left and bottom right.

Summer

Postby Summer » 05 Oct 2016, 18:05

Hey.

Where did the hotkey's go and more importantly; why doesn't the user angle for objects work anymore?

I use chrome canary but tested this in regular chrome & IE too.

Thanks for an otherwise great product!

/Sean, Denmark

swest

Postby swest » 12 Oct 2016, 22:02

Needless to say (for one thing, it's obvious, and for another, others have already said it) this is a terrific tool. Thank you!

The absence of total control over over every little detail of map creation results in a tool that is usable almost immediately (even by me!) to produce maps that are serviceable for all but the most specialized of needs.

When I first wrote the previous sentence, I used the words 'lack of' instead of 'absence of'. I changed it because 'lack' implied some sort of deficiency. In fact, counterintuitively, it is this 'lack', or 'absence', that brings a different kind of power to this tool, as opposed to the other control- and feature-rich tools out there. As Mr. Orwell put it:

Less is More

Now, having praised it with great praise, I have some questions:

• Where are the doors and windows? I've looked everywhere.
  • Where are the dimensions? When placing a rectangular array of floor tiles, a sometimes-usable tooltip style of HxW dimension box shows up, but that's it... counting squares is tedious.
  • Where can I find the meaning of the numbers on the zoom slider? Its use seems obvious, but not the numbers, or the 'x4'... at least not to me.

Regarding dimensions, it could be inferred from the demonstration video that the HxW dimension box that shows up when placing a rectangular array of tiles is the way to set and/or discover dimensions. Surely it would be even easier to add that same kind of dimension box to a linear object, like a wall. I would imagine that most folks start with walls and then add the floor tiling after... right?

That brings me to just a very small number of recommendations:

• Tooltip descriptions of mapping objects - so that when I hover over an object in the library, I see a string that identifies it. It is frequently difficult to tell what a given object is.
  • A little bit of Help documentation. Particularly for non-obvious features. The FAQ doesn't cut it, and the video is too quick. Of course, for the most part, the tool is quite intuitive. But, still, it would be nice to have some small amount of documentation that tells you, for instance, that double-clicking on an existing map element selects it and places it in 'move' mode... Quite useful, but I had to find that out completely by accident. Now I'm wondering what other features like this exist.
  • If dimensions (see my question above) aren't a part of the tool, they would be a welcome addition. Nothing complicated, just a count or numbering of squares would be very useful.

Thanks again. I've already used your tool to create a map that I needed for our next gaming session.

Cheers,

- s.west

swest

Postby swest » 13 Oct 2016, 19:51

To follow up on my previous post (which, as of this writing, hasn't been published yet... so I hope I'm not repeating myself ;-))...

For starters, in that last post, I said: "To quote Mr. Orwell"
And I should have said: "To paraphrase Mr. Orwell"
(I suppose I could have said, "To quote Mr. Browning", but that would have been even more obscure... anyway, let's carry on)

Now, one thing I do want to repeat from that post is that the power of this tool lies in its simplicity, and that, in just a very short time, I think I have become completely fluent in its mechanics.

However, I'm afraid that I still just do not understand the Scale of what I am doing here... Particularly since my own personal goal is to create maps for which one square represents 5 feet in the 'real world'.

So, for instance, if I look at the 'favorite' collection, in 'Objects', under 'beds', I see two sizes of beds, small and large (I am applying my own labeling here). The small bed is 2x1 squares (on the grid), while the large bed is 3x2 squares. Are those two sizes meant to represent 2 different 'Scales'? Or is it the same Scale, but one bed is 'adult' and one bed is 'child'??? (See, this is why some labels or other identifiers (for those objects) would be helpful.)

So, if they are on the same Scale, and meant to represent something like the adult/child distinction, then I might be able to make sense of it. And if, in fact, there is an assumption of a particular Scale for the squares, and that Scale is that 2x2 (squares) is meant to represent a single 5' square in an RPG, then that would account for several things...

For one thing, that might explain the "x4" by the slider bar (upper right), with 2x2 being 4 squares. Is that what the "x4" means?

Also, the 'real world' sizing of the beds would then be 2.5' x 5' (child bed (?)), and 5'x7.5' (adult bed (?)), which seems reasonable.

Now, if they aren't on the same Scale, then... well that opens up a real can of worms. Because, for one thing, that concept would probably extend to all the rest of the objects in all the libraries.

So, please, explain that part of this tool. I, for one, really need that help in order to make it useful to me. And, I want it to be useful to me in the worst way...

Thanks.

- s.west

Angron

Postby Angron » 14 Oct 2016, 09:54

That sneak preview screenshot looks fantastic Pyro, even better than I expected! Do you have a newsletter or some other way to be alerted when you release, other than checking back here every few weeks?

IronBob

Postby IronBob » 29 Oct 2016, 18:05

@ s.west
I find the one square equals 5 feet in most rpg games to be a generalization of scale. If it was a true representation of scale nearly all rpg maps would be way out of scale. Lets face it we're talking about fantasy items and creatures, no one knows what their true scale is. Or what bed size will accommodate them (example: a fairy bed might be one by two feet where a ogre bed might be five by ten feet). If your talking human beds your scale is fairly accurate. I know that Pyro said he was making the offline Dungeon Painter program capable of doing scaling. Hopefully when he releases it we can all scale our beds accordingly.

momo1013

Postby momo1013 » 06 Nov 2016, 21:16

hello again pyro ^^ don't think i've seen this asked before, but if it has my apologies for the overlap!
With the new program, will it be possible to automatically input a map size rather than just clicking and dragging it out?
For example, if I need to (for some reason) make a 100 x 120 map, will there be somewhere to just type it in and automatically create that rather than manually dragging the 100 x 120 rectangle?

momo1013

Postby momo1013 » 07 Nov 2016, 01:48

Also if you would like suggestions for additions to future packs, consider boats. boats are good. people build great boats as it is, but even just some small dinghies or something would be nice.

and on to an actual question, will the new dungeon painter app be free or paid?

Return to “Dungeon Painter Online”